I left my parents with tomatoes and fruit juice concentrate. The tomatoes I canned into spaghetti sauce on Monday. I decided to make jelly out of the juice concentrate from Grandma Gumbel. Tuesday I made two batches just to see if I could follow directions and actually get it to "jell". The original recipe I looked at said "if directions are not followed exactly, failure will result." Geesh, thanks for the test! I had tried jelly in 2006 and ended up having no flavor or jell so it was pitched.
I ended up making 2 batches of blackberry jelly on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, and another 4 batches Thursday and Friday. This was a total of 7 batches of jelly! I figure if. Y kids are anything like me, they will take pb&j sandwich for lunch when they start school. I wouldn't have survived school if it weren't for pb&j!
So, I have added 30 quarts of spaghetti sauce, 16 jars of grape juice, 35 jars of jelly, 21 quarts of green beans to my canning shelves so far this summer. I have also added 49 packages of sweet corn to the freezer. I am feeling pretty accomplished and grateful for the help of my parents for the produce that has been put away!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment