Monday, September 8, 2014

A day on the Ohio

There are days, I must say I am blessed by my career and the things I get to do.  Friday, September 5th, I spent my work day on a barge on the Ohio River.  The Indiana Soybean Alliance and Indiana Corn Growers Association hosted an Ohio River Tour through the Newburgh Lock and Dam.  Farm Credit Mid-America was one of many sponsors, which meant my employer got several spots on the tour for employees.  I was fortunate enough to get to go to represent my employer.
 
We all met at in the Mulzer Crushed Stone parking lot next to ADM in Newburgh.  We were bussed though ADM lot down to the river and walked onto a barge!

I have been on the Ohio River on a boat, but never before on a barge. 
This is a view of ADM from the barge.
We were transported up river toward the Newburgh Lock and Dam.  Along the way we saw several cranes.  I was amazed at the size of these machines.  (It reminded me of the Thomas crane, Cranky, on steroids!).  I believe this one was moving sand.
 
We were allowed to move around on the top of the barge.  When we were approaching the Newburgh lock, we headed up to the front of the boat.  There were several people of political importance on the barge Friday.  One is pictured below in a purplish colored shirt, sunglasses and mostly bald.  Do you recognize your Congressman?  It is Congressman Larry Buschon; hailing from Newburgh, IN!  We also had Lt. Governor Sue Ellspermann.  This was the second time that I have had a chance to be in a group setting with her.  Both the Congressman and the Lt. Governor are agriculturally minded. 
A guy from the Army Corps of Engineers was there to talk about the Ohio River Locks and Dams system.  The Newburgh Lock and Dams were approximately 45 years old.  Some of the oldest locks are pushing 95 years old.  They are all starting to need major work and upkeep.  The expected life span of the locks and dams was 50 years when they were constructed.
We went a little ways up river then made a U-turn in the middle of the river and proceeded back to the lock, through the lock and back to ADM. 
ADM cooked pork chops and had potato salad, baked beans, cookies, and cold water/soda.  It was a neat experience and one that was experienced as a working day with all expenses paid!

No comments: