Jenna is attending Kindergarten at Shakamak Elementary this year. The first student day was Friday August 8. For the Kindergarteners they only attended for one hour to meet the teacher and to check in all their school supplies. It is a unique set up, that I don't particularly care for, but no one ask for my opinion, so I followed the rules.
We signed up for the 8:00 to 9:00 time slot so that I could take her back to daycare and go to work afterwards. Friday morning it was raining hard. I used an umbrella, which is saying something! Unfortunately, that means we didn't take any pictures outside :(
They asked each child to stand in front of the blue wall for pictures, so that's the first one I got of Kindergarten.
Her teacher this year is Mrs. Boyd.

Mrs. Boyd had the door all decorated with stars the first day!
So we walked into the room and met Mrs. Boyd. She asked us to drop all our supplies off at the appropriate stations. There was one for cups, napkins, silverware. Another for glue, markers, crayons, another for earphones, baggies, and so on. Jenna marked her name off and left her supplies behind. Meanwhile, Mrs. Boyd was making sure how everyone was to and from school. Once all the supplies were dropped off for the 8 kids in her group, Mrs. Boyd read the kids a Pete the Cat book. They then had snack and were dismissed into stations.
Mrs. Boyd then talked to the adult group about daily snack, daily routine, and "special days". For example they have Gym class on Tuesday and computer class on Thursday. We talked briefly about field trips and miscellaneous information and that concluded her first day of school.
Jenna is really excited to know a few of her classmates from pre-school and daycare. Lilli (pre-school) was in our same one-hour group and Tegan (daycare) is in her class, too. I am sure she will make other friends very quickly.
Today, Monday 8/11 is the first day Jenna got the opportunity to ride the school bus. Her buddy Ava is standing beside her in front of the daycare. Ava is in first grade. I talked to Ava's mom and asked if Ava cared to "show Jenna the ropes" and to make sure Jenna got off the bus in the evenings at the right place. Ava loves the idea of already knowing the ropes and being able to show off to a friend!








1 comment:
Hope it's going well!!!
Post a Comment